Whetstone Township, Crawford County, OhioWhetstone Township, Ohio Location of Whetstone Township (red) in Crawford County, next to the city of Bucyrus (yellow). Coordinates: 40°46′17″N 82°54′51″W / 40.77139, -82.91417CountryUnited StatesStateOhioCountyCrawfordArea - Total 40.8 sq mi (105.6 km²) - Land 40.7 sq mi (105.4 km²) - Water 0.1 sq mi (0.2 km²) Elevation1,040 ft(317 m) Population (2000) - Total 2,365 - Density58.1/sq mi (22.4/km²) Time zoneEastern (EST)(UTC-5) - Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) FIPS code39-84644GNISfeature ID 1085948
Whetstone Township is one of the sixteen townships of Crawford County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,365 people in the township, 2,218 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Sandusky Township - northeast
- Jefferson Township - east
- Polk Township - southeast, north of Washington Township
- Washington Township, Morrow County - southeast, south of Polk Township
- Tully Township, Marion County - south
- Scott Township, Marion County - southwest corner
- Dallas Township - west, south of Bucyrus Township
- Bucyrus Township - west, north of Dallas Township
- Holmes Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Whetstone Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township clerk, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the clerkship or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- ^ a b US Board on Geographic Names. United States Geological Survey (2007-10-25). Retrieved on 2008-01-31.
- ^ American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2008-01-31.
- ^ Crawford County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
v • d • eMunicipalities and communities of
Crawford County, OhioCounty seat: BucyrusCities Villages Townships Unincorporated