National Institute of Statistics and Census of Nicaragua
The National Institute of Statistics and Census of Nicaragua (INEC, in the Spanish acronym for the Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos de Nicaragua) is the institution in charge of completing censuses and surveys. The 8th population and the 4th dwellings census was carried out in 2005, and the institute already works in its results.
INEC was first called Dirección General de Estadística about 1905. There were a lot of financial troubles with the organization, and the enterprise had to close several times between its foundation and 1939. When the Sandinistas win the Revolution, the statistical office was finally renamed to INEC. INEC ran its first census in 2005, and expect to continue the every-ten-years trend imposed in 1995.
Censuses in Nicaragua
- 1906. First Population Census.
- 1920. Second Population Census.
- 1940. Third Population Census.
- 1950. Fourth Population Census.
- 1963. Fifth Population Census.
- 1971. Sixth Population Census.
- 1995. Seventh Population Census.
- 2005. Eighth Population Census.
- INEC. Institutional web page (in Spanish)