Gasoline price websiteThis article or section seems to contain embedded liststhat may require cleanup.
To meet Wikipedia's style guidelines, please help improve this articleby: removing items which are not notable, encyclopedic, or helpful from the list(s); incorporating appropriate items into the main body of the article; and discussing this issue on the talk page.
There exist a number of websites that provide current gasoline (petrol) price information for different filling stations. Many of these websites allow registered users to update the price information, usually for an incentive such as "points" which are accumulated and displayed alongside a user's name. In some cases, points can be redeemed for rewards, such as an entry in a drawing for a prize, such as electric vehicles and free gas cards.
The main utility of these websites is that they allow users to find the lowest price of gasoline in their vicinity, since gasoline prices often vary significantly between gas stations in the same neighborhood. In addition to listing prices for particular filling stations, some of these web sites show the average cost of gasoline in the nation and can show if the prices are trending upward, downward, or are stable. Some sites also provide message forums to allow users to engage in discussions about gas prices and money-saving strategies, among other topics. At least one site is planning to make prices available on registered users' mobile phones.
ExamplesThis article or section may contain material not appropriate for an encyclopedia.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page.
United States / Canada
- GasBuddy was started in June 2000 by Dustin Coupal and Jason Toews from the Minneapolis-St. Paul area in Minnesota. As of July 2007, it has over 180 websites for regions in North America, including all fifty states of the United States the District of Columbia, ten Canadian provinces, and most metropolitan areas in both countries. With an active cadre of 150,000 to 200,000 contributors, thousands of prices are reported daily, making available a large collection of near real-time pricing data for virtually all of North America. GasBuddy has also implemented a text messaging and WAP site to allow users to get prices on the go. GasBuddy has an interesting feature that shows gas prices on a "temperature map" so it is easy to spot the highest and lowest gas prices in the nation.
- MapQuest Gas Prices Same prices as found on MSN but has mapping features.
- Flying J (gasoline/auto diesel/propane)
- Flying J (diesel/biodiesel/farm diesel)
- Gas Price Watch
- MSN Gas Prices
- FuelMeUp.com (Provides gas price info on over 86,000 stations nationwide. Gas and Diesel)
- Gasticker.com - Canada's Gasoline Price Tracker
- UCAN (San Diego, California only)
Sites Similar to (But Not Affiliated to) GasBuddy.com:
- Fuel Watch (WA only) FuelWatch in Western Australia is a unique free service, backed by State Government legislation. All fuel retailers in Perth, and approximately 80% of those within the state but outside of the state capital area, must notify their "tomorrow prices" by 2.00pm each day. Prices change at 6am each morning, and must be held for 24 hours. After 2.30pm each day tomorrow's prices are released to the public and the media, providing consumers with the information about whether to fill up today or tomorrow, safe in the knowledge that prices cannot change otherwise.
- Shell price search (Shell stations only)
- NSW Petrol Prices - NRMA
- Petrol, LPG and Diesel prices in the Melbourne metropolitan area - RACV
- PetrolPrices.com (UK)
- Whatgas.com (UK)
- benzinpreis.de (Germany)
- United Consumers (The Netherlands)
- benzinpriser.nu (Denmark with examples from neighbouring countries) (In Danish)
- holtankoljak.hu (Hungary)
- rtl.lu (Luxembourg with some examples from neighbouring countries) (updated daily on weekdays)
- aral.lu (Luxembourg with CNG, LPG price also)
- polttoaine.net (Finland with some examples from neighbouring countries) (in Finnish and Swedish)
- Carbu.be (Belgium) (in French and Dutch)
- GazOnline.RO (Romania) (in Romanian)
- Mais Gasolina (Portuguese - Portugal)
- electric vehicles
- Gasoline usage and pricing
- Liquefied petroleum gas
- Zone pricing
You can improvethis article by introducing more precise citations.
- GasBuddy. Retrieved on 2006-12-10.
- Saving Pennies At The Gas Pump. Forbes. Retrieved on 2006-12-10.
- Caught Over a Barrel: Soaring Gas Prices Have Motorists' Wallets Running on Empty. Washington Post. Retrieved on 2006-12-10.
- Find a Cheap Gas Station? Spread the Word. New York Times. Retrieved on 2006-12-10.
- Web's-Eye View Of Gas Prices. CBS News. Retrieved on 2006-12-10.
Link former page on this page
Related word on this page
New York Times