The Asia PortalAsiais the largest continent in the world. It has a land mass at around 49,694,700 km² and covers 8.6% of the Earth's total surface area, or 29.4% of its land area. It is traditionally defined as part of the landmassof Africa-Eurasialying east of the Suez Canal, east of the Ural Mountains, and south of the Caucasus Mountainsand the Caspianand Black Seas.
Asia is considered one of the most populous regions in the world, containing around 60% of the world's human population. Of these only 2% live in the northern and interior half (Siberia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Xinjiang, Tibet, Qinghai, western Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan).
The wealth of Asia differs widely between, and within, states. This is due to its vast size, meaning a huge range of different cultures, environments, historical ties and government systems. The largest economies in Asia in terms of nominal GDP are Japan, People's Republic of China and South Korea, the smallest East Timor. In terms of Purchasing Power Parity however, the People's Republic of China has the largest economy in Asia and the second largest in the world, followed by Japan and India as the world's third and fourth largest economies respectively.
Asia is also known for its rich history and culture. Asian art, music, and cuisine, as well as literature, are important parts of Asian culture. Eastern philosophy and religion also plays a major role, with Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Islam, and Christianity all playing major roles. One of the most complex parts of Asian culture is the relationship between traditional cultures and the Western world.edit
Featured articleThe People's Republic of China(simplified Chinese: 中华人民共和国; traditional Chinese: 中華人民共和國; pinyin: Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó listen (help·info)), commonly known as China, is the largest countryin East Asiaand among the largest countriesin the world.With a population of over 1.3 billion, roughly a fifth of the earth's total population, it is the most populous country in the world. Its capitalis Beijing.
The Communist Party of China (CPC) has led the PRC under a single-party system since the state's establishment in 1949. The PRC is involved in a long-running dispute over the political status of Taiwan. The CPC's rival during the Chinese Civil War, the Kuomintang (KMT), retreated to Taiwan and surrounding islands after its civil war defeat in 1949, claiming legitimacy over China and Mongolia while it was the ruling power of the Republic of China (Taiwan). The CPC regards the KMT's claims as illegitimate. The term "Mainland China" is often used to denote the areas under PRC rule, but sometimes excludes its two Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong and Macau.edit
Image credit: Martin
LouisPangong Tsois a lake in the Himalayassituated at a height of about 4250 m (13,900 ft). It
is 183 km (83.3 mi) long and extends from Indiato China. Featured picture
Countries in Asia
Afghanistan · Armenia · Azerbaijan · Bahrain · Bangladesh · Bhutan · British Indian Ocean Territory (United Kingdom) · Brunei · Cambodia · People's Republic of China (mainland China) · Taiwan (Republic of China) · Christmas Island (Australia) · Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia) · · Georgia · Hong Kong (PR China) · India · Indonesia · Iran · Cyprus · Iraq · Israel · Japan · Jordan · Kazakhstan · Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) · Republic of Korea (South Korea) · Kuwait · Kyrgyzstan · Laos · Lebanon · Macau (PR China) · Malaysia · Maldives · Mongolia · Myanmar (Burma) · Nepal · Oman · Pakistan ··palestine Philippines · Qatar · Russia · Saudi Arabia · Singapore · Sri Lanka · Syria · Tajikistan · Thailand · Timor-Leste (East Timor) · Turkey · Turkmenistan · United Arab Emirates · Uzbekistan · Vietnam ·Yemenedit
If you know of a project involving Asia, please list it here and on Wikipedia:WikiProject.
Russia is largest country of asiaedit
Things you can doAzerbaijan• People's Republic of China• Hong Kong (China)• Indonesia• India• Iran• Japan• Korea• Malaysia• Philippines• Russia• Singapore• Taiwan• Thailand
- Wikify: Ali Akbar ibn Husayn, China Merchants' Steam Navigation Company, Zhuang characters, Backlog...
- Cleanup: Al jawaher wal la'li, Dham Talwandi Khurd, Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Japanese Army and Navy Strategies for South Seas areas, Backlog...
- Stubs: Guoyue, Haranga, Rangzen Shonu, Ahmedabad Railway Station, Anwar Saifullah Khan, Carmel City, Chuncheon Polytechnic College Baten Kaitos Origins, Gideon Hausner, More...
- Copyedit: Balikpapan, Empire of Japan, Ha Nam Province, History of Shaivism, Tüfekçi, Urban planning in Singapore, Varnashrama dharma, More...
- Expand: Army of the Republic of Vietnam, Chinese astronomy, Grey (manga), Islamic architecture, Kazuhide Uekusa, Masashi Tashiro, Ngo Dinh Diem, Wakizashi, More...
- Requests: Hua'er, India Import Tax, Jamiat-ul-Ansar, Mamed Seid Ordubadi More...
- 19 December: Pakistan : New policy on renewable energy launched
- 17 December : Indian Army celebrates Victory Day on 35th Anniversary of Bangladeshi Liberation
- 12 December : International response to demolition of Hare Krishna property in Kazakhstan
- 9 December : US House of Representatives passes India nuclear bill
- 6 December : China loosens press restrictions
- 5 December : BSE Sensex hits all-time high of 20,000
- 3 December : Philippine typhoon toll may hit 1,000
- 2 December : Wikipedia again blocked in China
- 2 December : Warlords gang-rape a woman in Badakhshan province of Afghanistan
- 1 December: Sri Lanka Defence Secretary escapes suicide attack
Did you know...
- ...that Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi gave the first accurate
explanation for the formation of a rainbow?
- ...that family registers are known as Koseki in Japan?
- ...that the first head of the House of Saud was Muhammad bin Saud ?
- ...that Fataluku is a language commonly used on the eastern part of
- ...that Guozijian was
the national central institute of learning in Chinese dynasties after the
Sui Dynasty? edit
Lists and categoriesLists: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V X Y Z
The following are categories relating to Asia:
Airports • Comics • Companies • Countries • Culture • Dinosaurs • Economy • Ethnic groups • Fiction • Games • Geography • Hiking trails • History • Images • Indigenous peoples • Lakes • Languages• Law enforcement agencies • Lists • Mythology • Natural gas pipelines • Natural history • Newspapers • People • Politics • Religion • Royalty • Sports • Stock exchanges • Stubs • Swords • Transportation • Women in waredit
Related portalsAfrica • Australia • Europe • North America • Latin America • Oceania
Topics related to AsiaHistoryCentral Asia, Conflicts, East Asia, Imperialism, Kamboja-Dvaravati Route, Mesopotamia, Middle East, South Asia, Southeast AsiaGeographyArabian Peninsula, Central Asia, East Asia, Far East, Himalayas, Indian subcontinent, Malay peninsula, North Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Southwest Asia, Suez Canal, Tibetan Plateau, Ural MountainsEconomyAsia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement, Commonwealth of Independent States, Imperialism, Silk Road, South Asian Association for Regional CooperationCultureCinema, Cuisine, Eastern philosophy, Films, Film festivals, Literature, Music, ReligionPeopleIndigenous peoples, Languages, Politics, Studies
What are portals? | List of portals | Featured portals Categories: Asia | Asian portals