Alabama State Route 157State Route 157
Length: 76 mi(122 km) South end: US-278east of CullmanMajor
junctions: SR-69near Cullman
SR-36southeast of Moulton
SR-24(Corridor V) at Moulton
SR-20at Muscle Shoals
US-43/72at Muscle Shoals North end: TN 227 at Tennesseestate line north of CloverdaleAlabama State Routes< SR-156 SR-158>
State Route 157 is a 76-mile long route in the northern and northwestern part of the state. The southern terminus of the route is at the junction with U.S. Highway 278 approximately ten miles east of Cullman, and the northern terminus of the route is at the Tennessee state line northwest of Florence. SR-157 continues as Tennessee State Route 227 once it crosses into Tennessee.
- 1 Route description
- 2 Counties traversed
- 3 Cities, towns, and communities along the route
- 4 Major intersections
- 5 References
State Route 157 is oriented in a northwestward trajectory from its originating point. This orientation continues for the duration of the route. While the route does not pass through the city limits of Cullman, it serves as a northern bypass of the city that enables motorists on westbound US-278 a quicker and more direct access to northbound Interstate 65.
West of I-65, SR-157 serves as a connecting route between Cullman and Florence. This segment of the route is designated as the University of North Alabama Highway, in reference to the institution of higher learning located in Florence.
SR-157 has been four-laned along almost its entire length. This project, which began in the 1980's, was finally completed in the summer of 2007.
Cities, towns, and communities along the route
- State Route 69 northeast of Cullman
- U.S. Highway 31 at Cullman
- Interstate 65 at Cullman
- State Route 36 southeast of Moulton
- State Route 24 (Corridor V) at Moulton
- State Route 101 at Hatton
- State Route 20 and Alternate US-72 east of Muscle Shoals. The three routes share a concurrency as they lead towards Muscle Shoals
- State Route 133 east of Muscle Shoals
- U.S. Highways 43 and 72 at Muscle Shoals. State Routes 20 and 157 join US-43 and US-72 as they lead from Muscle Shoals into Florence
- State Route 184 at Muscle Shoals