1553For the serial data bus standard, see MIL-STD-1553. Centuries: 15th century- 16th century- 17th centuryDecades: 1520s 1530s 1540s - 1550s- 1560s 1570s 1580sYears: 155015511552- 1553 - 155415551556
Events of 1553
January - June
- May - The first Royal Charter is granted to St. Albans.
- June 26 - Christ's Hospital and King Edward's School, Witley are created by Royal Charter.
July - December
- July 6 - Edward VI of England dies.
- July 9 - Battle of Sievershausen: Prince-elector Maurice of Saxony defeats the Catholic forces of Margrave Albert of Brandenburg-Kulmbach. Maurice is mortally wounded.
- July 10 - Lady Jane Grey is proclaimed Queen of England - for the next nine days.
- July 18 - The Lord Mayor of London proclaims Queen Mary as the rightful Queen; Lady Jane Grey willingly abdicates.
- July 19 - Lady Jane Grey is replaced by Mary I of England as Queen of England after having that title for just nine days.
- August 3 - Queen Mary arrives in London.
- August 22 - The Duke of Northumberland, a supporter of Jane Grey, is executed.
- September - Protestant bishops in England are arrested and Roman Catholic bishops are restored.
- September 23 - The Sadians consolidate their power in Morocco by defeating the last of their enemies.
- October 27 - Calvinists burn Michael Servetus as a heretic in Geneva.
- December 25 - Battle of Tucapel: Mapuche rebels under Lautaro defeats the Spanish conquistadors and exetutes the governor of Chile Pedro de Valdivia.
- Russia: The maritime way of the White sea is opened by the English explorer Richard Chancellor, beginning the trade with England.
- Shanghai is fortified for the first time.
- In the Ming Dynasty of China, the addition of a new section of the Outer City is completed in southern Beijing, bringing the overall size of Beijing to 4 by 4½ miles.
Births1553 in other calendars Gregorian calendar1553
MDLIII Ab urbe condita2306 Armenian calendar1002
ԹՎ ՌԲ Bahá'í calendar-291 – -290 Berber calendar2503 Buddhist calendar2097 Burmese calendar915 Chinese calendar4189/4249-12-17
(壬子年十二月十七日) — to — 4190/4250-11-27
(癸丑年十一月廿七日) Coptic calendar1269 – 1270 Ethiopian calendar1545 – 1546 Hebrew calendar5313 – 5314 Hindu calendars - Vikram Samvat1608 – 1609 - Shaka Samvat1475 – 1476 - Kali Yuga4654 – 4655 Holocene calendar11553 Iranian calendar931 – 932 Islamic calendar960 – 961 Japanese calendarTenbun22
(天文22年) Korean calendar3886 Thai solar calendar2096 v • d • e
- January 22 - Mori Terumoto, Japanese warrior (d. 1625)
- May 7 - Albert Frederick, Duke of Prussia (d. 1618)
- May 14 - Margaret of Valois, queen of Henry IV of France (d. 1615)
- July 15 - Archduke Ernest of Austria (d. 1595)
- October 18? - Luca Marenzio, Italian composer (d. 1599)
- November 23 - Prospero Alpini, Italian physician and botanist (d. 1617)
- December 13 - King Henry IV of France (d. 1610)
- date unknown
- Patriarch Filaret of Moscow and All Rus' (d. 1633)
- Giovanni Florio, English writer and translator (d. 1625)
- Richard Hakluyt, English author, editor and translator (b. c. 1552 or 1553; d. 1616)
- Jasper Heywood, English translator of Seneca (d. 1598)
- Amago Katsuhisa, Japanese nobleman (d. 1578)
- Pierre de Rostegny, French jurist (d. 1631)
- William Russell, 1st Baron Russell of Thornhaugh, English military leader (d. 1613)
- Jacques Auguste de Thou, French historian (d. 1617)
- See also Category: 1553 births.
- February 19 - Erasmus Reinhold, German astronomer and mathematician (b. 1511)
- February 25 - Hirate Masahide, Japanese diplomat and tutor of Oda Nobunaga (suicide) (b. 1492)
- April 9 - François Rabelais, French writer
- May 28 - Johannes Aal, Swiss theologian (b. 1500)
- July 6 - King Edward VI of England (b. 1537)
- July 9 - Maurice, Elector of Saxony (b. 1521)
- August 8 - Girolamo Fracastoro, Italian physician (b. 1478)
- August 22 - John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland (b. 1501)
- October 7 - Cristóbal de Morales, Spanish composer (b. 1500)
- October 16 - Lucas Cranach the Elder, German painter (b. 1472)
- October 27 - Michael Servetus, Spanish theologian (burned at the stake) (b. 1511)
- October 30 - Jacob Sturm von Sturmeck, German statesman and reformer (b. 1489)
- date unknown - Erasmus Alberus, German humanist (b. 1500)
- See also Category: 1553 deaths.